Every Monday at orientation, students are always shocked at the legal drinking age in the USA. Not only do our laws restrict access to beer, wine or other cocktails, but also many dance clubs and music venues hold exclusively 21+ events.
Never fear, students! Underage doesn’t have to mean underwhelming! Despite the city’s strict ID laws, there’s still plenty of fun nightlife for those less than 21 years old. Be sure to check out the websites below for the 18+ schedules and show times!
- The Middle East: This award-winning venue has three stages, with different bands every night. The club, as its name suggests, also serves first-rate Middle Eastern cuisine. (472-480 Massachusetts Ave., Cambridge; mideastclub.com)
- Great Scott: Great Scott is 18+ weeknights, 21+ weekends and often features indie & rock artists. Offers some free shows, but most are about $7. (1222 Commonwealth Ave., Boston; greatscottboston.com)
- Brighton Music Hall: Formerly known as Harper’s Ferry, this venue has music for every taste – reggae, rap, rock, electric and more. (158 Brighton Ave., Boston; brightonmusichall.com)
- Paradise Rock Club: This venue hosts a wide variety of artists and all shows are 18+. (967 Commonwealth Ave., Boston; thedise.com)
- Ryles Jazz Club: Ryles has live jazz and salsa. Try the Latin Caribbean Night on Thursdays – entrance for $7 ($13 with classes) you get a salsa and bachata/kizomba lesson and can then enjoy dancing until 1am. (212 Hampshire St., Cambridge; rylesjazz.com)
- P.A.’s Lounge: This Somerville spot offers indie, pop or rock music, depending on the night, as well as open mic nights. (345 Somerville Ave., Somerville; paslounge.com)
- Rise: Rise claims to be Boston’s only after-hours nightclub. The club offers patrons a place to literally dance the night away. Some events don’t end until 6am! Admission to most events is between $15 and $25. (306 Stuart St., Boston; riseclub.us)
- Rumor: This club offers 19+ events, depending on who’s performing. Admission to most events is between $15 and $25. (100 Warrenton St., Boston; rumorboston.com)
- Phoenix Landing: The Landing is an Irish bar that opens its nightclub to the 18+ crowd every Sunday from 10pm to 1am. The music usually consists of dubstep, techno, and house music, provided by some of the best local DJs! (512 Massachusetts Ave., Cambridge; pheonixlandingbar.com)
- The Middle East: It’s on our list twice for a reason. Each Thursday, the club hosts Throwed, an 18+ indie electric dance party that draws between 200 and 500 college students from all over Boston. Doors open at 9 p.m. Admission runs between $15 and $20.
- Limelight Stage and Studios: ELC’s go-to Karaoke spot. Admission is $10. (204 Tremont St., Boston; limelightboston.com)
- Doremi Karaoke: Doremi has 13 language options and private karaoke suites! (442 Cambridge St., Boston; doremikaraoke.com)
- Lucky Strikes at Jillian’s Boston: Jillian’s Boston is a massive, three-floor operation that is home to a club, billiards, bowling, and ping-pong. (45 Ipswich St., Boston; jilliansboston.com)
- Sacco’s Bowl Haven: This small bowling alley offers 10 candlepin bowling lanes as well as flatbread pizza, salads and more. (45 Day St., Somerville; flatbreadcompany.com/flatbreadsacco2010.html)